Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tax Credit

I know a lot of our friends out there read this blog.  I also know that a lot of our friends purchased homes for the first time this year or are considering purchasing.  I though I would make you aware of a tax credit available for first time home buyers that purchase homes between April 9, 2008 and July 1, 2009.  If you qualify (Married filing jointly AGI must be under $150K to get the full deduction, sorry new doctors and orthodontists you probably don't qualify) you get a $7,500 tax credit.  It's really a loan because you have to repay it over the next 15 years, but it carries a 0% interest rate.  It's really something that's worth taking advantage of if you've purchased a home.  Also, did I mention that it's a refundable tax credit.  That means that if it causes you to not pay any tax then the government will still send you a check for the difference.  It also has a few other nice provisions that help out.  For example, if you are forced to sell the house and don't have a capital gain on the sale, you don't have to repay the loan.  For more details check out  www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com.

7 comments:

Polliwog said...

We always appreciate tax tips, whether we qualify or not--closed on our house July 10th! ;)

We miss you guys!

Anna said...

Thanks, Chad, for sharing this tip. We definitely qualify!

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

We miss you too. Every time I sit down to watch Prison Break I think of you guys. Yes I still watch it. I don't think it's very good anymore. It seems like it has lost its way, but I'm too invested to let it go now :).

Polliwog said...

we watched it until Heroes came back on. Now we've been dvr-ing (nice word) it, but the episodes have been piling up. I can't seem to get to it. (That ought to tell me something).

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

Chad keeps up on Prison Break. I watch it if he is, but I don't really care anymore. Even when we watched it with you laughed, now it is worse. But Heroes is great. Miss you guys!

caligirl said...

Thanks for the tax break helps.
our plan was to close on our house before the end of the year but we are still waiting....and waiting! I was addressing my Christmas cards and realized I didn't have your new address. You just email it to me. Are you guys staying put for the holidays???

Bates Blogger said...

I just want to post a quote you once posted on my blog: "Blog neglect is a crime."
Where are you guys???