Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Celebrations

With hardly a day to gather ourselves after returning from Nathan's wedding in Boston (I'll play catch-up and post on that soon), we ushered in series of parties, events and guests that have left us happily exhausted.  I hosted a big Thai cooking demonstration for Relief Society at my home (long story about how I got roped into that one!), I threw a baby shower for a sister I visit teach (and don't know that well) that was...interesting and full of a lot of unexpected guests of both genders, we had a delicious birthday party for Jack (really a dinner for adults where the kids got to run around and Jack opened presents), Gigi came from Texas to visit, and we Halloween spent with some of our closest friends.  This, dear readers, is why I haven't posted and haven't returned phone calls.  I'm going on a self-imposed hiatus (as much as possible) from any major celebrations until Thanksgiving (but no hiatus from parentheses--love them!). 

For your visual enjoyment: 

On Jack's actual birthday, Gigi (Chad's mom) arrived from Texas.  Jack was thrilled.  We went out to dinner and Jack opened just one gift that night, his gift from Nana (my mom).  Have I mentioned that Jack is OBSESSED with Toy Story?  He wakes up asking for Woody and Buzz Lightyear (I don't know how to describe his pronunciation of Buzz Lightyear--Molly says it sounds like he is saying "butt hair"--very apt description). Perhaps you've guessed by now that the gift was a Woody doll.  I just can't describe how excited he was.  After hugging Woody and inspecting every inch of him, Jack did something I never would have expected:  he grabbed the camera from me and started taking pictures of Woody.  It was like he just saw his baby for the first time and wanted to document it.  He was posing him and snapping away, telling Woody to "say cheese" and feeding him cookie.  It was magical.





Gigi's visit was so much fun.  We went to the "Magic House," the local children's museum.  Jack loved playing with the sparkly sand, splashing around on the huge water table, and "shopping" in the store.  The run away favorite was catching fish in the pond and then taking them upstream and watching them make their way down a river and back to the pond.  I think he played "catch and release" about 20 times.  Don't you wonder how long kids would really do some things if you let them?  I know hunger won't stop him, and of course with a diaper you've got it made.  Maybe he'd just fall over with fatigue after, I don't know, 10 hours?


A few days after his actual birthday, we had two families from the ward and our great friends the Parkers who also moved here from Michigan, over for dinner and party fun.  Chad made his famous soy sauce chicken wings.  Dinner was delectable.  The kids had fun.  Jack got too many presents.  I ate too much Costco cake.  Can't wait for next year. 




MANY thanks to Gigi for all of her help when she was here.  She is an energizer bunny.  She touched up our paint job, cleaned our car, watched Jack while we went out, did loads and loads of laundry, you get the picture.  

A few days after Gigi left, our dear, dear friends the Bakers came to visit.  They recently moved to Kentucky (about 5 hours away).  I've known Anna for almost 15 years (we met at BYU) and she and Matt were married just a few weeks after Chad and I.  There is a comfort in being around people you have known for so long, people who know you, know your family, who you've shared so many of life's ups and downs with.  Their little boy Miles is ADORABLE.  He is so easy-going.  Jack loved having him, and pushing him, around.  Actually, they got along very well.  

We reveled in the unseasonably warm weather during Matt and Anna's visit.  Halloween night was incredibly pleasant.  Our neighborhood looked like something out of a movie with all of the lawn decorations, people milling around in the wide streets (including parents pulling wagons of ice and beer), and kids of all ages running wild with sugar-induced hyperactivity. ack and Miles both got into the act.  Jack was over the moon about all the candy.  He loved saying "Trick or Treat," though walking up to the door in his cowboy boots and knocking on the door was equally thrilling for him.  




We also spent time at Ted Drewe's (of course) and our neighborhood park.  




I left the group to go to a baptism.  When I met up with them again at the park, this is what I found:







12 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, sounds like you have been incredibly busy! Those are awesome pictures at the park. How fun for him to play in the pond. I love that he was taking pictures of Woody. That's hilarious. You should buy him his own little camera. What a cutie.

Carolina said...

Happy birthday to Jack--sound like photography is in his future.

All of this makes me miss you guys and anxious to plan a trip together.

Anna said...

Miles is blowing kisses at Jack as we scroll through your blog. We had more fun at your place than we've had in months! There is just something about old friends. Thanks so much. We love you!

Ken and Amy said...

Happy Birthday Jack! I can't believe your baby is 2!!! You got some great pictures of splashin in the pond...that is so fun!

Courtney said...

I haven't said "hi" in ages. I'm glad you're doing well. I can't believe Jack is 2 either. Time goes fast. Dan and I have a lot of mutual friends of the Baker's, the whole Ephraim/Gunnison group.

Michelle said...

Amy, I just can't stop laughing.. that is so funny that he wanted to keep taking pictures of Woody...
We miss you.. the water looks so inviting..
Love,
Michelle

Elizabeth Downie said...

That is so cute! I love the image of Jack taking pictures of Woody. My nephew also had a Toy Story obsession around the same age as Jack. (Toy Story II to be exact) Luckily it's a movie we all thought was funny too so we didn't mind playing it over and over again. We even got the soundtrack and probably sang "Woody's Round Up" hundreds of times.

We miss you guys!

AndreaF said...

Amy- thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I am so sorry to hear about your sister. If you don't mind me asking, what happened? So hard. Yes, there really is nothing like being so close to that kind of a tragedy. It has been heart-breaking. On a happier note, your little Jack has gotten so big! I know that does happen (at least we hope) but still it's amazing how time flies. He is such a cutie. I love little boys. They are so full of life. So much fun. Where are you living now? How are things? Thanks for the congrats on the twins. We are excited but nervous about the actual logistics of it all. It'll be tough!! Thanks for keeping in touch!!

amydear said...

No wonder you're to busy to return phone calls! I am always envious of your St. Louis living, and your proximity to Ted Drewes. Eat a mini concrete for me -- banana oreo if you dare!

Brittney said...

Your little guy is getting so big and I LOVE the picture you have of him in your header. What a cutie!

Kristin McElderry said...

Hey Amy! I hope you and Chad are doing well!

Jack is sooo big!!! Gosh is he a cutey. We sure miss his heartbreaking at Hill Street!

Rachel Ure said...

oh my! You rebels! Too bad it isn't meant for wading... it would be really fun.