Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The art of bathing




I realize that this can be an uncomfortable subject because just talking about bathing involves, try as you may to ignore it, thinking of others in the nude. But I'm desparate for some advice. My shower keeps malfunctioning. Every few months I turn the nob and wait for that stream of water and instead I hear this awful vibrating chug-chug-chug noise that means something has, yet again, gone wrong. The "fix-it" guys at Family Housing usually come fairly promptly, but not promptly enough for me to avoid taking a bath at least once a month. I do know how to take a bath just to relax. I don't do it often enough, but I do love to sit in a tub of almost too hot water, add some bubbles, turn off the lights, but I usually take a shower when I'm finished (is that weird?). My question is, how do I take a functional bath? How do I wash my hair, etc., without sitting in soapy water? How do I really get clean? You'd think my experience bathing Jack for over a year would help, but he is so small and I can dump plenty of water on him to make sure he is rinsed off. I, on the other hand, can barely fit in my tiny tub and I never feel clean when I'm done--I feel like I've still got a film of soap all over me. When this happened just a few days ago Jack got quite a kick out of it. He was in the bathroom brining me toys and handing me a washcloth. He also tried to climb in, clothes and all. So, help me out. How does this work? I know some people actually prefer taking a bath, so share your techniques.

15 comments:

Janell said...

I do the knees to the sky, dunk the torso and head routine to get my hair wet to shampoo,condition and rinse. I've heard lots of bathers shower afterwards. Sorry I don't have any good tips!

amydear said...

I always take a rinse-off shower after my bath. The bubbles and soap and stuff just leave too much slime behind. I just hope there's enough hot water left to do it, because I like my baths full and hot!

Anonymous said...

It's just wrong. I had this discussion with an old roommate and dear friend of mine and we decided that unless you are already mostly clean and soaking for relaxation, it's just not right to sit and linger in your own goo. That aside, since it sounds like you have no option of showering, I would suggest washing your hair in your kitchen sink after you've torso scrubbed in the tub.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Did Chad or Amy post this? "barely fit in the bath tub." It can't be Amy.
I LOVE bathing. Lucy and I just bathed together today. She loves bathing with me. I drain the tub when we are done and do major rinsing with the big cup we have. (but we have a huge jetted tub...which helps). You should try bathing with Jack sometime. It is so fun.
Also, I usually bathe on days when i don't have to wash my hair. I wet it and rinse it (so that I can style it) but don't wash it.

Carolina said...

I am an ignorant bather. I'm even afraid of tubs. I was dismayed to find out that our new house had a jetted tub because that is a perfect place for cockroaches and fungi to live. Yuck.

Anyway, from a paranoid/sanitation point of view, it makes most sense to me to (1) get whole body wet, (2) wash face first (so that water and washcloth are as clean as possible for your face); (3) soap up and scrub body from most clean parts to least clean parts (so as not to cross contaminate); (4) without rinsing soap off body (maybe even standing in tub), shampoo hair; (5) dunk entire body in water, baptism style, to rinse off soap and shampoo; (6) pull plug; (7) while water is draining, put conditioner in hair; (8) turn on cool water and rinse hair (and any soap residue) in stream of water.

This sounds miserable to me. That's why I just take showers.

Balcena Family said...

I too am an "after-bath shower girl." In fact, I'm with Jenny J- definitely wash hair in the kitchen sink afterwards- I simply cannot stand the thought of bar soap, or body wash in my hair, but that's just me. However, I am raising "after-bath showerers" too-not that Josh will enjoy the bath forever. Right now, it's all about the toys.

Anyway...I know the "awful vibrating chug-chug-chug noise" you speak of!! We had the same thing happen right there in Family Housing! The bad news is that it required ripping out the tile and repairing plumbing quite extensively. THAT SAID...you might just mention it to those "always open to suggestions" FIXIT guys because the damage was pretty extensive, and bordering on leak potential- which translates into water coming through the ceiling onto your dining room table- unless your table has moved since I last saw your apartment...

Sorry to be so long-winded, but thought it might help you to know...

Polliwog said...

What a funny post! It's quite entertaining (and informative) to hear that so many of us girlies feel the same way about baths. My only addition to what's been said is that washing my hair in the sink grosses me out big-time. I hate to think of my hair touching any drains. Icky. So I would wash your hair (after getting out) by leaning back into the tub and using the tub spigot (that's a funny word). I like it better b/c there is so much more water and pressure to get my thick hair rinsed well.

And good on ya, posting twice in one week. I almost fell off my chair. lol

Emily said...

i refuse to take baths in a bath that also functions as a shower. so i'm no help. but when i do get the chance to have a bath, i ALWAYS shower off afterwards. told you i was no help.

Michelle said...

Is that a picture of the new tub that fixit is installing in your apt? We left too soon!
Loved the blog. we miss you. Jack is so darn cute.

Sister Holly Larson said...

Am I "crazy." Life is a all about relaxation. As a mother the only place I could ever get totally away from the kids was the tub... a good book, an inflatable pillow, a snack - or two or three, some music, maybe a candle.....you just have to get into it. Oh, and no phone or clock!

Does our obsession with absolutely nothing on the skin have any relevance in the antibacterial soap issue where we are sooo germ free that we are creating our own problems???????

As to the cockroach, spider infested jets on a tub - unscrew them periodically and run them threw the dishwasher - do not use the heat cycle or they may discolor.

Sister Holly Larson said...

I know "threw" is actually through.

Kendall said...

Maybe men aren't supposed to respond to this post, but I'm going to anyway.

Amy, just have Chad douse you with the house in the backyard. Then you can probably get an honorary membership to the polar bear club while you're at it. Now that's killing two birds with one stone.

Anonymous said...

I seriously love this fetish post. Any other ladies want to tell us how they bathe?

I can picture all of you and your separate techniques. Thanks for sharing......please share more....

Anonymous said...

I had to take baths for 18 months when I lived in Madagascar. You can do a lot of rinsing with only a little water and a plastic cup. Do your shampooing, conditioning. Then, pull the plug and run water so you can fill and dump the cup. It's a pretty quick way to get rid of the slime. If you set the cup on the side of the tub, Jack can use it to get drinks out of the toilet--a bonus!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

You changed your blog layout (yet again!) but haven't posted anything new? Come on now!